Exploding Box Tutorial
1. From an A3 piece of card cut 2 strips of card measuring 15” x 5” and score both at 5” intervals along the length using the box lid side of the board. Glue the pieces together in the middle to form a cross shape.
2. From an A3 piece of card cut 2 strips of card measuring 13 ½” x 4 ½” and score both at 4 ½” intervals along the length using the box lid side of the board. Glue together as above.
3. From an A3 piece of card cut 2 strips of card measuring 12” x 4” and score both at 4” intervals along the length using the box lid side of the board. Glue together as above.
4. The above 3 pieces of card will form the 3 outer layers of your exploding box. (NB Leave sticking all above layers together until all of the pieces have been decorated)
5. To make the box lid cut a piece of card 8 1/8” x 8 1/8” and score around each edge at 1 ½” using the box lid side to make the box lid. Fold and glue as necessary.
6. The inside tiered boxes are made using the following sizes of card. NB remember to score one piece using box base and one piece using box lid.
1st layer – 5 ½” x 5 ½” (x2 one for the lid and one for the base). Score at 1” intervals on each piece.
2nd layer – 5” x 5” (x2 one for the lid and one for the base). Score at 1” intervals on each piece.
3rd layer – 4 ½” x 4 ½” (x2 one for the lid and one for the base). Score at 1” intervals on each piece.
4th layer – 4” x 4” (x2 one for the lid and one for the base). Score at 1” intervals on each piece.
7. Once all the layers are cut and scored run them through your chosen embossing folder to create the pattern. I used the Die’sire Embossalicious Rose Vine folder.
7. Glue each box together to form tier.
8. Decorate as desired and then glue all pieces together to form the exploding box.
A3 Centura Pearl Double Sided
A3 Card Pack – Elegance
Die’sire Embossacilious Folder – Rose Vive
Die’sire – Beautiful Butterflies
Collal Glue – Tacky and Glue Gel
Stick on Gems
Jewellery Box Tutorial
The jewellery box is predominantly made using the sliding box technique and the card used is A3 Centura Pearl. There are four sliding drawers and then a false top drawer with a lid.
1. Cut 4 pieces of card measuring 9” x 7 ½”. Using the box lid side of the board score around each side at 1 ½” and then fold and glue into a tray. These four trays will form your drawers.
2. To make the outer part of the drawers cut 4 pieces of card measuring 15 ½” x 4 ½” and you will need to use the sliding box technique to make the outer drawer. Using the box base side of the board score at 1 ½” then fold and burnish. Butt the folded edge against the edge of the board and score at 6” then fold and burnish. Again, with the folded edge against the edge of the board score at 1 ½”, fold and burnish. And finally place the folded edge against the edge and score at 6” and fold and burnish. This will leave you with a flap of card, which you can fold over and glue to make the outer part of the drawer.
3. Glue the 4 outer drawers together and slide the drawers into each space.
4. To make the top drawer you will need a piece of card 12” x 9”.
5. You will need to cut out the 2 cross hatched sections and then score along the dotted lines, as if you were making a box 1 ½” in depth. The bottom half of the diagram will form the top drawer and will need to be folded and glued and then the top half will form the lid. Glue this box onto the top of the four drawers.
6. To make a side/back panel you will need a piece of card measuring 8” x 15 5/16”. It is easier to lie the jewellery box down on the piece of card in order to find the score lines turning it where necessary. Glue the side/panel using Collall Tacky Glue.
7. Finally cut 2 square pieces of card slightly larger than the top and bottom of the drawers and glue accordingly.
8. Decorate as desired.
Make sure that you fix the handle to your patterned card/paper prior to gluing onto the drawer front. This way the inside of the drawer will remain neat and tidy.
Don’t forget to decorate the inside of your drawers to make it a real professional finish
A3 Centura Pearl – Hint of Gold
Sweet Treats CD – Backing Papers
Collall (All Purpose, Tacky & Glue Gel)
Gold Split Pins
Die’sire – Grace Frame (border)